It’s fun, frequently materialistic and irrevocably social. People plan for it, spend for it, live for it and dread it all at the same time, each year. The ideal Christmas way is to sit around a heavily bedazzled tree, a heftily set dinner table with friends n family.
But here I am celebrating solitary Christmas not meeting or fulfilling these ideals. Being in a hostel with no one on the entire floor, I have no Christmas tree, no decorations, no Santa putting gifts in my stocking, no public transport to roam around, bad stormy weather n most sadly no delicious feast! (I miss mom's roasted chicken...aghhh) This reminds me of Harry's 1st Christmas at Hogwarts, when everyone left for home n he didn't! (Well this is no less than Hogwarts to me - I am technically in the same city as Hogwarts!!)
Though people have constantly been discouraging me about this situation of mine, by saying that to spend Christmas alone is pitiful, a tragedy and a sad failure (Bit of exaggeration but ya pretty similar stuff). But deep down I am bloody happy - I mean all alone in the entire floor - the full kitchen n bathroom to myself for the next 5 days!! I have to be with myself n my thoughts - the delights of solitude!!
So here's how one can celebrate solitary christmas -
1. Wished myself Merry Christmas out loud!
2. Breakfast in bed - You know where you go make breakfast n then get it to your bed n have it there!!
3. Christmas movie marathon - Miracle on 34th Street, The Nightmare Before Christmas, A Christmas Carol, It's A Wonderful Life, The Magic Christmas Tree, Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas, Fred Claus
4. Skyped with my family!
5. Christmas lunch - Fried rice with sausages on it! (I cooked it!)
6. Walk down the neighborhood - Not a soul believe me AND it was so freaking cold I couldn't feel my face after some time!
7. Christmas dinner - Pork steak, diced beef n mango juice!! (I cooked it again!)
8. Conversation with myself all day! (I do that all the time though)
With enough imagination n motivation, you don't need to play the unspoken rules of Christmas - just make the day enjoyable, unique n fulfilling!
Merry Christmas everyone!!
Hope you all had a good time with your loved ones - family, friends or may be just yourself (Aren't you your loved one??)